How to Fix 'Migrate greyed out in vCenter for a single VM'
While migrating some VMs to a new storage array, I ran into an issue while moving the last VM, which, of course, was my vCenter appliance. When I right-clicked the VM in vCenter, then went to migrate. The migration option was greyed out, which blocked the migration.
TL;DR Follow VMware’s KB 1029926
Note: All examples will use the URL https://vcenter. It would be best if you changed this to be your vCenter URL.
- Select the VM in question
- Copy the URL in the browser
- Grab the VM ID from the URL. In the example the ID is “15”
- Open a new browser windows to https://vcenter/mob/?moid=AuthorizationManager&method=enableMethods
- Login with an Admin user. Example: [email protected]
- Enter the following in the value fields replacing the VM ID.
<!-- array start --> <entity type="ManagedEntity" xsi:type="ManagedObjectReference">vm-15</entity> <!-- array end -->
- Method RelocateVM_Task
- Click Invoke Method - Go back to your vCenter URL and refresh the page. - You should be able to migrate the VM now.