While migrating some VMs to a new storage array, I ran into an issue while moving the last VM, which, of course, was my vCenter appliance. When I right-clicked the VM in vCenter, then went to migrate. The migration option was greyed out, which blocked the migration.
TL;DR Follow VMware’s KB 1029926
Note: All examples will use the URL https://vcenter. It would be best if you changed this to be your vCenter URL.
- Select the VM in question
- Copy the URL in the browser
- Grab the VM ID from the URL. In the example the ID is “15”
- Open a new browser windows to https://vcenter/mob/?moid=AuthorizationManager&method=enableMethods
- Login with an Admin user. Example: [email protected]
- Enter the following in the value fields replacing the VM ID.
Click Invoke Method
Go back to your vCenter URL and refresh the page.
You should be able to migrate the VM now.